LM337L 3-Terminal Adjustable Regulator
Check for Samples: LM337L
Normally, only a single 1μF solid tantalum output 1FEATURES
capacitor is needed unless the device is situated
28226; Adjustable Output Down to 1.2V more than 6 inches from the input filter capacitors, in
• Ensured 100mA Output Current which case an input bypass is needed. A larger
• Line Regulation Typically 0.01%/V output capacitor can be added to improve transient
• Load Regulation Typically 0.1% response. The adjustment terminal can be bypassed to achieve very high ripple rejection ratios which are
• Current Limit Constant With Temperature difficult to achieve with standard 3-terminal
• Eliminates the Need to Stock Many Voltages regulators.
• Standard 3-Lead Transistor Package Besides replacing fixed regulators, the LM337L is
• 80 dB Ripple Rejection useful in a wide variety of other applications. Since
• Output is Short Circuit Protected the regulator is “floating” and sees only the input-to- output differential voltage, supplies of several
• Available in the 6-Bump DSBGA Package hundred volts can be regulated as long as the
• See AN-1112 (Literature Number SNVA009) for maximum input-to-output differential is not exceeded.
DSBGA Considerations Also, it makes an especially simple adjustable
switching regulator, a programmable output regulator,
DESCRIPTION or by connecting a fixed resistor between the
The LM337L is an adjustable 3-terminal negative adjustment and output, the LM337L can be used as a
voltage regulator capable of supplying 100mA over a precision current regulator. Supplies with electronic
1.2V to 37V output range. It is exceptionally easy to shutdown can be achieved by clamping the
use and requires only two external resistors to set the adjustment terminal to ground which programs the
output voltage. Furthermore, both line and load output to 1.2V where most loads draw little current.
regulation are better than standard fixed regulators. The LM337L is available in a standard TO-92 Also, the LM337L is packaged in a standard TO-92 transistor package, SO-8 surface mount package, transistor package which is easy to use. and in our new 12 mil diameter bump DSBGA
In addition to higher performance than fixed package. The LM337L is rated for operation over a
regulators, the LM337L offers full overload protection. 8722;25°C to +125°C range.
Included on the chip are current limit, thermal For applications requiring greater output current in overload protection and safe area protection. All excess of 0.5A and 1.5A, see LM137 series data overload protection circuitry remains fully functional sheets. For the positive complement, see series even if the adjustment terminal is disconnected. LM117 and LM317L data sheets.